MAMMOTH CONDITIONS REPORT | It’s that time of year again… bikinis, board-shorts, bump-lines, and that all too familiar sound of boards swishing and slashing thru the sweet spring corn.
Some of you may already be well-versed in ‘corn snow-ology’ and the joys it can bring. Others often use the term hap-hazardly, not really knowing what they’re talking about. No worries – here is the ‘ski-bum-wanna-be’ dictionary definition:
Corn Snow (colloquial)
Also: Quasi-Corn, Spring Snow
1) Coarse, granular wet snow. During the spring and summer diurnal cycle of melting and refreezing the corn snow skiing is at its best in mid to late morning, after a layer has begun to melt but before it is too wet and sloppy.
2) Great for inflicting snow rash in the event of a fall while wearing a bikini.
Winter is over (at least for this week) and the Mountain is primed for the ultimate spring shredding experience. The coverage is great, the weather’s awesome, the crowds are gone, and the riding is stellar. No dirt patches nor puddles – just top to bottom great riding.
A word of advice… If you haven’t waxed your skis this season, I am giving you fair warning, it’s time – the E-brake Slug (proper definition to come in a subsequent report) is on the prowl! By mid-day the sticky factor on the lower mountain is running high. WAX THEM BOARDS!
- Great groomers top to bottom all day.
- Off-piste snow is soft, shave-able, and forgiving.
- The zipper-line is taking shape in West Bowl – Mogul bashers rejoice!
- No crowds and empty lift lines – it’s a local’s party!
- Fun skier/boarder-cross course from Hair Jump into World Cup is open to the public.
- Now’s a great time for families and beginners: beautiful weather, soft snow, and no boarder/skier traffic.
- Lower mountain snow is sticky and slow after 2pm if not earlier.
- More and more little kids are trickling through the terrain parks. Parents, please steer clear of Main Park - there are more danger zones in Main than either you are or your child are aware of.
- Canyon is closing this weekend, get up here and get it while you still can.
- Bottom jump in Main Park has been rebuilt and is better than ever.
- Main Park has a wealth of rails, boxes, and other features that are good to go.
- South Park is on it’s last legs, yet still has lots of great jumps and features – now is the time to hit it up early in the day while you still can.
- New Snow: No new snow since last weekend’s storm.
- Base: approx. 6’+
- Weather: Clouds are rolling in late in the afternoon, but for the most part it’s been sunny and warm. Temps are going to be in the mid 60’s through the weekend. Wear your sunscreen!
- Conditions: Morning cords, spring corn, slush, afternoon glue.
- Lifts: All lifts except Chairs 20 and 25 are running.
- Runs: All runs are open and good to go!
Bottom line: Great snow, awesome coverage, warm weather, and lots of bikinis and board-shorts to be seen! Don’t forget your sunscreen (nobody likes to see a lobster-head)!