This firework show truly was face melting. If you were there, you had a damn good night. If you missed it, you’re pissed and suffering from a nasty form of miss-itis.
The Golden Gate Bridge opened 75 years ago on May 27th, 1937.
So, was this the best firework show ever beheld on planet Earth?
What show was better?
More GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE FACTS than u can handle:
- San Francisco Chronicle called it a “thirty-five million dollar steel harp” upon it’s opening
- Ansel Adams & the Sierra Club fought against its construction
- John C. Fremont named the Golden Gate strait 2 years before the discovery of gold in California in 1846
- As of April 2011, 1,929,896,448 vehicles have crossed the Golden Gate Bridge
- Made of steel
- Color = international orange
- 1.7 miles long
- 90 feet wide
- 746 feet tall
- 220 foot clearance above the water
- $35 million = cost to build
- Construction began January 5th, 1933
- Construction completed April 19th, 1937
- Opened to public May 27th, 1937
- The bridge can handle 120,000 automobiles per day
- More people die by suicide at the Golden Gate Bridge than any other location on Earth
- Approximately 1,500 have jumped off the bridge
- Approximately 26 people have survived the jump