Crank the air, hold the Jam… The Mammoth West Coast Invitational returns for its 11th year yet this weekend’s line-up presents some markedly different events. In fact nearly ever angle of this year’s WCI is a break from the norm.
For starters in years past all day-time events were held in the vicinity of Main Lodge, from the Eddie Wall Ride to the Viva La Pipa. This time around all competition-centric events have been shifted to Canyon Lodge. Hey, why not? With our lowest snowfall total in years makes total sense to push the comps to a lower elevation venue… picking up on the sarcasm? Should actually be a really cool setting, more of a comment on the added effort required by event staff to move snow into position.
Moving snow shouldn’t be such a big factor for a rail-jam setup, right? No, not really… Yet what if there were to be a big air comp this time around? Yes, for the first time the WCI will be highlighted by a Big Air comp. And, yes, this too will go down at Canyon. As for the fixture, primetime Village Rail Jam? No longer a fixture because it’s not in this year’s line-up.
A couple other notes on alterations to this year’s WCI… Prior to and following the Eddie Wall Ride competition the Hike Park will be open to the public – your chance to make pro-call outs by way of show, not tell. And one of the most interesting twists for this year’s WCI, Saturday’s Big Air Comp will be a team event, pairing a pro-skier with a pro-snowboarder – I’m stoked to see how this plays out.
The Mammoth West Coast Invitational has set a standard for breaking free from the norm. 2012 will be no exception as this year’s line-up breaks free from past years’ WCI standards.
This weekend looks to be a great time to hit up Mammoth… With great weather on tap, evening/after-dark high-caliber comps slated for Canyon Lodge and a string of free music performances, good times will not be in short supply.
Friday, May 4
- 9am-3pm DJ Slipmatt on the Main Lodge Sundeck
- 8:00pm Launch Party at Hyde Lounge
- 9:00pm Big Air Team Pairings at Hyde Lounge
- 10:00pm DJ + Drink Specials (21+ only)
Saturday, May 5
- 9am-3pm DJ Slipmatt on the Main Lodge sundeck
- 12-1pm Product toss on the Main Lodge sundeck
- 4pm-7pm Happy Hour + Deck Party at Canyon Lodge
- 4pm-5pm Hike Park opens to the public
- 5pm-7pm Eddie Wall Invitational at the Canyon Lodge Hike Park
- 7pm-8pm Hike Park reopens to the public
- 6pm-7pm Live Music on the deck by The Ragged Jubilee
- 8:00pm West Coast Invitational Big Air
- 9:30pm WCI Big Air and Eddie Wall Ride Awards Ceremony
- 10:00pm Mammoth Concert Series and Beats by Dr Dre present Rye Rye