Designed by a pair of snowboarding composite engineers and designers, Drift Boards are designed to combine the best elements of touring skis, XC skis, and snowshoes into a revolutionary new product for backcountry travel. The crowd funding campaign launched to fund their production is doing quite well with $14,405 raised towards their goal of $30,000 with 25 days to go, so unless this stalls out big time these things will get made.
Definitely an interesting solution to a specific problem and I would love to give them a spin. I have no doubt these would well serve tons of our readers looking for a no hassle transport solution to the top of your favorite backcountry run. Here is how Drift Boards pitches them:
“In situations where snowshoes are too slow, split boards and removable skins are overkill, and XC skis are too cumbersome, Drift Boards provide the quickest and lightest solution for moving across snow. Whether you’re looking to hit that cliff drop that’s just a little too far for post-holing, grabbing a quick dose of powder before your Saturday chores, or taking your dog up the canyon for an hour after work, Drift Boards have you covered.
Drift Boards are excellent at breaking trail in deep snow. They hold an edge on slick traverses and fit perfectly in backcountry skin tracks. They glide like skis and they have the convenience of snowshoes. Drift has taken elements of skis, snowboards, and snowshoes to create a tool that fits into your quiver a lot like that pocketknife you carry because you know it’ll come in handy every day.
Drift boards are the brain child of a couple of snowboarders (who also happen to be composite engineers and designers) who looked at the current options and figured there has to be another way for snowboarders, or anyone else, to access the backcountry.”
Benefits over split boards:
- Efficiency: Carry the weight of your snowboard on your back rather than your feet while climbing.
- Choice:Ride backcountry snow with any snowboard you choose.
- Convenience: No bindings to rotate, latches to unhook, or skins to install. Just strap your board to your pack on the way up and strap your Drift boards to your pack on the way down.
Benefits over snowshoes:
- Speed: The shape and permanent climbing skins allow you to glide rather than step.
- Agility: Drift board’s narrower shape makes them much easier to move around in.
- Weight: Drift boards are lighter than many snowshoes.
Benefits over skis:
- Agility: Drift boards are much shorter than traditional skis and much easier to move around in without sacrificing speed while ascending or surface area to float.
- Weight: Carbon and aluminum construction makes Drifts boards much lighter than touring skis and even many cross country skis.
- Convenience: No need to install or remove climbing skins. Drift boards work with any soft boot (sorels, hiking boots, fat bike shoes, snowboard boot), and they fit in the trunk, backseat, or even your backpack.