Winter is off to a great start in the northeast with Killington already spinning lifts and a number of other ski areas set to open either this weekend or next week.
Currently the race is on between Wildcat, Bretton Woods, Sunday River, Sugarloaf, and Stowe for who opens next but in the meantime, let’s give some love to upstate New York (especially the Adirondacks), which is currently under a winter weather advisory.
Forecasted Snowfall Totals
3-Day Forecast For Gore Mountain, NY
NOAA Winter Weather Advisory
…WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT EDT TONIGHT…
* LOCATIONS…NORTHERN WARREN COUNTY…THE WESTERN MOHAWK VALLEY…SCHOHARIE VALLEY…HELDERBERGS…AND THE EASTERN CATSKILLS.
* HAZARD TYPES…SNOW MIXING WITH A BRIEF PERIOD OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.
* ACCUMULATIONS… SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 6 INCHES… WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS FOR ELEVATIONS ABOVE 2000 FEET. LITTLE OR NO ICE ACCRETION IS EXPECTED…EXCEPT OVER THE HIGHER PEAKS OF THE EASTERN CATSKILLS WHERE UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH IS POSSIBLE.
* TIMING…THE SNOW WILL MIX WITH SLEET BRIEFLY…AND CHANGE TO RAIN LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.
* IMPACTS…SNOW COVERED ROADWAYS AND REDUCED VISIBILITIES.
* WINDS…SOUTHEAST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.
* TEMPERATURES..RISING INTO THE LOWER TO MID 30S LATE THIS AFTERNOON.
A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW…SLEET…OR FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES…AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.