An in-bounds avalanche occurred at Kirkwood ski resort in South Lake Tahoe, California today, March 18th, 2012.
IN-BOUNDS AVALANCHE DETAILS:
- Avalanche occurred in Sentinel Bowl at 2:14pm
- One skier was trapped by the avalanche
- A friend of the trapped skier was able to escape the avalanche at contact ski patrol and report his trapped friend
- “Dalzell [Kirkwood spokesman Michael Dalzell] said Chair 6 was closed as soon as the avalanche was reported. Crews worked in the area to test the snow stability, with the all clear coming at 4:33pm.” – laketahoenews.net
- The injured skier was transported to Barton Memorial Hosptial
- More details about the extent of skier’s injuries will be reported on by the Alpine Country Sheriff’s Dept. tomorrow.
- Avalanche danger in the Kirkwood area was rated as Moderate today
KIRKWOOD SNOWFALL THIS WEEK:
- 68 inch storm total
- 52-60 inches of new snow in the past 48 hours
- 12-16 inches of new snow in the past 24 hours