Oh my Gobs of face-shots! And to think not even a week ago there was far more dirt showing than snow. After living in Mammoth Lakes for close to 10 years I didn’t doubt that one storm could turn the whole season right around, yet somehow I was still skeptical that this storm was the one to do the trick. Well, after several laps off of Chair 22 today, I am convinced – our season has done a 180 in a big way.
Total snowfall for the entire storm… that’s hard to say. I would guess that on average we saw somewhere around 4’ of snow from Thursday-Monday; not bad. What’s truly great about this storm is how it came through: wet and solid for the first series, dry and abundant through the final set. In classic Mammoth fashion the storm first thoroughly coated the Mountain and then finished off by giving us some genuine powder to stuff our faces with. I need not say more than be sure to have a look at the video above – face-shot city!
- No better work-out than munching down on pow..
- It dumped through most of the day (Monday).
- Top never popped – lucky enough to stick around another day? I expect the top to open tomorrow (Tuesday).
- Chair 22 was in operation for the first time this season – it was probably the top-spot to ride today.
- Still much of the Mountain was on weather hold today. I suspect as blue skies return nearly all of the Mountain will be in play. Yes, after just one storm.
- Genuine powder – we need not say more.
- If you weren’t on the hill today you missed out… sorry.
- Lots of stuff still showing (aka little tree-tops, stumps, rocks) but coverage now permits nearly all off-piste travel. Great thing too is w/ people riding just about everywhere permitted, our new base is getting nicely packed and set.
- Avi Chutes off of Lincoln Mtn slid big-time – hey, that’s how the cookie crumbles, ya’ know?
- If you had intentions to ride park today you’ve got your head in the wrong place.
- New Snow: Lots. Between last night and today it must have snowed close to 2’.
- Base: 2′-4′
- Weather: Temps are expected to rise heading into the week. At least there looks to be a North wind that will hopefully keep this warming trend in check.
- Conditions: Powder, packed powder.
- Lifts: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 22, 25, Panorama Gondi (Bottom only), Village Gondi.
- Runs: If it wasn’t in an Avi path it was pretty much open.
Bottom line: Lots of hooting and hollering going down up on the Mountain today – how sweet it is.