With more than 160 skiers and snowboarders chasing a $15,000 purse, there’s no doubt that this year’s Salomon Extreme Freeride Championships at Taos, NM was one of the most competitive stops yet. The stop is the only Freeride World Tour qualifying event in the states. Meaning the winner is invited to compete on stops all over the world!
Colorado was represented well with Crested Butte sweeping the men’s and almost the women’s senior divisions. The Master’s men saw a Squaw Valley sweep as well, with Larry Segal taking 1st, followed by brothers David Saputo and Jon Saputo.
In the Junior division, Telluride’s Kyle Koenig took the win for the men, followed by Steamboat Spring’s Matthew White. Local skier Peter Hunt tied with Colorado athlete Finn Mahoney for 3rd.
1. Ashley Bembenek Crested Butte, CO
2. Katie Gillen Albuquerque, NM
3. Alex Riedman Cressted Butte, CO
1. Rosemarie Daiek Lake Tahoe, CA
2. Meghan Moran Steamboat Springs, CO
3. Meesh Hytner Breckenridge, CO
1. Brandon Clabaugh Crested Butte, CO
2. Rob Dickinson Crested Butte, CO
3.Tom Runcie Cressted Butte, CO
1. Ryan Montoya Mescalero, NM
2. Justin Bobb Santa Fe, NM
3. Matthew Baker Vail, CO
A full list of results is available at http://www.skitaos.org/freeride/results.php